When you are printing something and suddenly you see a text message on your screen saying, that the printer is in error state. You will not be able to make any prints further due to the error. First, you must know what does printer in error state implies. It can mean that there is a problem with your printer itself. The printer might be faulty. Another most probable reason can be the connection between your printer and your computer. It may be lost or not stable and hence it shows the error. This is the error that you are facing with your printer.
Now, why is my HP printer in an error state. What is the reason that your printer is facing this error. The ‘printer in error’ can also arise due to faulty or incompatible printer driver. In some cases it can simply mean that the printer is turned off. So, make sure you check that before moving on to doing any fixes and looking for a solution. If you are unable to figure out or locate the source of the problem you can follow out the troubleshooting steps mentioned below to get it working again.
Here are some of the common troubleshooting steps through which you can resolve the issue.
Steps to fix printer in an error state:
- Check for any new updates on your software.
- You can check if the printer is working on any other device and if it is working there.
- Keep the printer on and cut its power cable.
- If there are any other cables attached to the printer remove them too.
- Press and hold the power button for 15-20 seconds.
- Make sure that your printer is directly connected to the main source and not through any other cables or device.
- When you reconnect the printer, it should turn on automatically. If not so, switch it back on manually.
- Download and install the HP Print and Scan doctor software, if you are facing an issue with printer drives.
- Make sure that the connection between the printer and computer is stable.
If you are having trouble with your Windows, here’s how to fix HP printer in error state Windows 10. Follow the steps mentioned below.
Steps to fix printer in error state in Windows 10:
- Search and programs and features in your windows 10 and select your HP printer. Click on uninstall.
- Go to options and chose your HP printer. Click on “delete” or “remove device’ option.
- Press the combination of windows key and R to run the command.
- Type printui.exe and then click OK.
- Select your HP printer driver and click on ‘remove’
- Chose to Apply and click on the printer server properties windows.
- Then close devices and printers.
Then, you can install the printer again and configure the settings. The steps for fixing the error in MAC also remains the same. The difference is that MAC uses Airprint technology. You can navigate to settings and check if that has been configured correctly. The printer you are using should be compatible and support Airprint.