Urology is the domain of medical science that is linked with the disorders and diseases of the male and female urinary tract. Experienced and qualified urologist like Dr. Cletus Georges offers treatment for conditions affecting the bladder, kidney, ureter, urethra, and adrenal glands. They also treat ailments related to penis, prostate, epididymis, and seminal vesicles in men. They can treat mild urinary problems like urinary tract infections (UTI) to even severe ailments like cancer. Usually, primary care doctors recommend a visit to the urologist if the symptoms of the patient persist for a long period and do not improve.
A urologist can help with bladder issues and pelvic pain in men and women, as well as infertility in men. It would be a prudent move to contact an experienced urologist like Dr. Cletus Georges at once, when dealing with issues like urinary tract infection, prostate gland enlargement, erectile dysfunction, etc. They can even treat or manage kidney stones or diseases related to the kidney.
Here are some of the conditions treated by urologists including Dr. Cletus Georges:
- Prostate Cancer: Prostate cancer is among the most prominent causes of cancer death among men. Hence, it is imperative that men are well-aware of its potential symptoms. This includes blood in the urine or semen, frequent or painful urination and dull pain in the lower pelvic area. Urologists generally perform a digital rectal exam (DRE) and a prostate-specific antigen (PSA) to diagnose this condition.
- Kidney cancer: Under this condition, kidney cells become cancerous and tend to grow out of control, ultimately forming a tumor. This cancer can be managed if it is diagnosed and treated in time. Hence, people must try to visit a urologist after facing symptoms like blood in the urine or pain in the side that does not go away.
- Bladder Cancer: People having a habit of smoking tend to be at a high risk of developing this cancer. Its symptoms include frequent urination, pain in the abdominal area or lower back, blood in the urine and painful urination. Depending on the specific condition of a patient, doctors select the ideal method for treating and managing it, such as intravesical chemotherapy, immunotherapy and laser therapy.
- Kidney Stones: These are hard mineral based masses that form in the kidneys and cause pain, irritation and blockage. Kidney stones can be quite painful at times, but can also pass on their own without causing any damage if they are small enough. In minor cases, one would not need anything more than pain medication and proper hydration to pass a kidney stone. However, surgery might be needed for severe cases.
- Enlarged Prostate: This is a common problem among aging men. Owing to the close proximity of the prostate to the bladder, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) or enlarged prostate can lead to frequent urges to urinate or even inability to urinate.
If a person is diagnosed with any of the above conditions, they need to get in touch with a good urologist at once for proper treatment.